Monday, June 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Matthew!

"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone, but still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute, You didn't grow under my heart,
But In It".

One of the greatest joys as a mother has been to watch my children grow, mature, and become young men. That is especially true for my youngest son, Matthew. When Matthew joined our family as a foster child at 4 months of age we were daily reminded not to expect too much.

Doctors, counselors, and case workers told us that he would not live a year, so don't get too close. I would just respond with: "You don't know what God can do!" We loved Matthew from the moment they first placed in him my arms and were committed to provide whatever was needed to see him live the most happy, productive life possible. On his 2 1/2 year birthday, we signed the final adoption papers. What a miracle, what a blessing.

Today, we celebrate again with Matthew on his 23rd birthday.

This past week Matthew had a few friends over for a weekend party of video games, swimming, and lots of food. It was so great to see him just hangin' out with friends. Yes, it was a long weekend. Six 20+ year old boys, all with autism or some other developmental challenge, but it was one of the greatest weekends of our lives.

Matthew is the little guy in the middle. They put up tents and 'slept' outside! Most of them really didn't sleep - in fact at 4:45 AM we asked if they could quiet down just a little so we could sleep for an hour. Needless to say, we didn't sleep!


There are not words to express our gratitude to God for how He has blessed us with such a treasure in Matthew. Matthew has helped US grow and mature as Christians and children of our Great King.

Father, today I honor You. I am humbled before You. I bless Your Holy Name. I thank you Lord for the blessing you brought to our family the day you brought us Matthew. We are changed because of him. You have used him in our lives to help us see You more clearly. Your love and compassion are characteristics you have developed within us. Our faith is stronger, we have learned to trust. Each day is new with so much to look forward to. I am honored to have been chosen to raise such an incredible young man. I pray You are pleased. Today, I bow before You and worship. You are to be glorified. May others see us display Your glory
through our lives. Amen



Please feel free to leave a birthday greeting for Matthew
and I will be happy to share them with him.


Make is a great day.
Cindy

11 comments:

Lowgrass said...

Dang...23....How does time slip by so fast...The back yard camp out sounded like a blast. I am a total video game nut, we should play more often. I am totally a geek though. I play WOW...lol.. Happy Birthday Matthew, you have always been a great person who is nice and always willing to let me play with you toys. I always appreciate it when I come over and you hand over your game controller to let me play. That actually means something to me. You are a giving MAN. I hope to see you soon. Cousin Mike

Amberlyn sugar mama said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you had a great time, it looks like it was a blast! We love you.

love~Nathan, Amber, Gabby, and soon to be Zach

Pat Vasquez said...

HAPPY 23RD BIRTHDAY MATTHEW!!! Looks like you had a ball with your friends that day! God has many many great things in store for you. Always remember Jeremiah 29:11, "for I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to propsper you and not harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope!" Bless you!
Pat Vasquez

Anne LoGrasso said...

Happy birthday, Matthew! You are such a blessing to the family. You have a wonderful smile that lights up the room. We love you so much!
Chris, Anne & Gracie

Cindy Pierman said...

Happy birthday brother. Hope you had an eventful day. We miss you so much, and wish we were there to celebrate w/ you. We hope that we get to see you this summer when you come down to see nana. Sorry, I didn't call yesterday. I walked around feeling like I was forgetting something and sure enough. Anyways, I love you and I'm sure you had a great birthday because you deserve it.

Cindy Pierman said...

hi, matt i miss you so much i hope you had a great birthday. itsounded like you did so im not weried i cant wait to see you again my mom and dad are thinking about moving back to Arizona srry that my mom didnt call you yesterday. do you like being 23 LOVE adrianna

ketcat said...

Happy Birthday Bee Bop!

Sorry we didn’t see you on your actual birthday but I’m sure we will see you soon and we hope you are doing well.

God Bless
Ken, Cindi, Courtney and Spencer

Anonymous said...

Matthew,

Praise God for your growth & the celebration of another year.

It sounds like you guys had lots of fun.

I do not really know you, as much as I know your mother: however, I'm getting to know you all eventually.

I'm your mothers internet pal, & I hope & pray you will have another year of blessings come your way.

May God Bless You Abundantly,
Cyndi
Cyndi

twondra said...

I'm so sorry I'm a little late here! Happy birthday Matthew!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Matthew! We can't believe your 23 years old, it seems like only yesterday you came down to LA to visit us. You are a Blessing in our lives and we love you very much! Enjoy your summer! Love Uncle Mike and Aunt Pam

3D said...

nice blog